Language

Zoom Out Radisson Radisson Blu Resort St. Julians Juliani The George Le Meridien Intercontinental Cavalieri Hilton Golden Tulip Vivaldi Westin Dragonara Resort Corinthia Marina Corinthia St. George's Bay
  • St. Julians

    St Julian’s is a town in Malta situated along the coast, north of the country’s capital, Valletta. It is known for tourism-oriented businesses, such as hotels, restaurants and nightclubs, centered mostly in an area known as Paceville.

    St Julian’s is a popular town, usually flowing with tourists, especially during the summer months. It is also a well-sought after destination by the Maltese.

    The population of Saint Julian’s is around 9,000.

    The town has the only skyscraper in Malta, the 98m tall Portomaso Tower.

    Before 1800 there was practically nothing standing in the area today called San Ġiljan, except for Spinola Palace, the old church, and a few fishermen’s huts and farmers’ dwellings dotting the countryside.

    However in the area known as Mensija (located in suburb called San Gwann) one finds a set of cart-ruts of the late Bronze Age period. Of the Roman period one finds also a couple of tombs discovered by P.F.Bellanti in the early 20th century in the Tal-Ballut district on the site now occupied by the Chapel of the Sacred Heart Convent. One finds also the remains of a round Roman tower, one in a chain of some eight other similar ones on Malta; this lies at ta’ Cieda at the top of present-day Triq il-Korvu, Kappara. This site was later used as a Saracenic burial ground. There are also Arab influences such as the name of the valley – Wied Ghomor. Both tal-Ballut – name of a type of tree, and tas- Sliema are Muslim personal names in Sicily.

    Because of fear of attacks by the Muslims, the Northern Coastal area remained undeveloped until the diminished attacks after 1565. The building of Spinola Palace, coming as it does in 1688, is to be regarded as the stepping stone for the coastal reclamation of San Ġiljan. The palace, together with the surrounding gardens, was built by Fra Paola Raffaele Spinola for the public entertainment as stated in the inscription which one finds above the portico. The palace was enlarged in 1733 through the efforts of Fra Giovanni Battista Spinola, Bali of the order and successor to his uncle as rector and Curator of the abbazia. During the French occupation of these islands in 1798, French troops were stationed in the palace and wrought havoc there. In fact it is thanks to them that the Order’s emblem atop the clock on the façade was mutilated.